Thursday, January 18, 2007

HBS So Stingy For Surprises

Not to keep the news for long, it's ding of course. I didn't give up hope for good news (interview invitation) from Harvard till the decision date, and I still keep my fingers crossed for Stanford, but it's rather not hanging my head than really waiting for admission falling on my head right from the sky.

I am seconding KorAl, who said in his blog that his HBS application was the rawest one. It's the same in my case. Unfortunately, I must say that all four my applications in R1 were raw :) Only after I met an interviewer, I understood how I should deliver my goals in Why MBA. The best advice I can give to new applicants: do try mock interview, especially if you are familiar with an MBA alumnus. Don't be shy, as I was. You just have to talk your Why MBA over with somebody, to see his or her reaction and hear his or her questions. With someone who is able to criticize you and let you know when you are nothing else but pathetic. In this way you wouldn't write such a dull essay as I did for H/S/W/Ch :)

Though I am applying in several schools in R2, I have already made my mind about the list of schools I will try next year if I am not successful this time. I will definitely try to conquer Harvard and Stanford again :) It's just a shame to leave it as is because of one essay I totally blew off :)

P.S. Still, isn't it strange that, despite promises, there is no evidence of Harvard sending last minute interview invitations?

Comments:
You do have the right attitude about the whole thing. And i am sure this awareness will lead tosome great essays for your R2 apps. All the best.

I followed here from your comment on ScareCrows blog. There is only 1 person I know from the whole blogger community that got into HBS. MBABabe
 
bschools, like people, can sometimes be not completely honest, and transparent. i just forgive them for that ;-) because i cant do much anyway.

good luck with your R2 schools. i am sure the experience and insight of R1 will prove successful for your R2 apps. Keeping my fingers crossed.
 
I was in the same boat as you last year. I applied R1 to HBS and got dinged without an interview. To date, I believe it was my strongest and best app. I took a hard look at myself, talked to several HBS alums and a few current students (both of whom were personal friends for many years) and realized that I just didnt have the stardust required for HBS and no matter who says what, stardust is an important factor there. I decided not to re-apply there and re-applied to Columbia this year (where I will be going this Fall). Sometimes its just a question of picking the right school that aligns with your strengths.
 
Nat, you have the right attitude and there is a plenty of room for an admit in r2 for you so keep yourself on the bright side)
 
Thank you all :) You do support me.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?