Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Stanford Done

Submitted my application to Stanford in the morning. Kept it for the last minute, got up at 5 am to make final strokes and discovered that I FORGOT about one of smaller essays. Yes, I mean it. I forgot about existence of this question, completely, and had to write it from zero :) People, don't repeat my mistakes ;)

Nevertheless, about 2,5 hours later I was ready to submit. Overall, it looks like Stanford's is my best set, with the nicest essays ever.
Invitations for interview will be distributed until one week prior to decision deadline (R1 - January 18).


Now, guys, to news about application process, specifically for Stanford. In submission follow-up I received a letter with two points that caught my attention.

1. The Adcom says:
We hope to interview between 800 and 1,200 applicants this year, and offer
admission to between 400 and 500 candidates.

I wonder, does it mean that the school is ready to enlarge the class? Or this number corresponds to usual statistics, taking into account number of people declining matriculation for some reason?

2. Stanford encourages potential students to apply for financial aid as soon as possible after submitting applications. You don't have to wait till you learn the decision.

Processing fee for financial aid application for international students is US$23. A copy (and translation, not certified) of a tax return report is requested. either recent or for 2005. It is not mandatory, though. My note to Russian applicants: tax return report may be obtained from your employer: ask for reference form "2NDFL".

*****
Stanford's is my forth application, which completes my list for Round 1. As always, good luck to all fellow applicants :)

Comments:
Woahhhh!!! U Forgot abt an essay??? :O If I were in your place, I would have totally freaked out! :)

BTW, what was their class size last yr? 300 right? And if I remember correctly their yield is over 70%. Thet puts the class size at 280 to 350. hmmm......
 
Ok, some corrections - their class size is closer to 400 and their yield is 80%.
 
hmm, since they are asking for a tax returm, is Stanford financial aid is need-based or merit-based?

congrats on your Stanford submit!
 
hobbes: yeap, I forgot :) I opened the site to upload my major essays, such as What Matters, and oops! there is one more question to answer :) Though all essay questions are important, that one was, fortunately, a kind of question that I could manage really quick.

alex: They say literally that "The Financial Aid Office does not offer merit-based fellowships", but in the base there are many examples of grants, scholar- and fellowships of this kind as well.
I guess that tax return report is more of importance for calculation of the amount of student loan.
 
if they don't offer merit-based ones, then I really wonder having above what level of income it is pointless to apply for a need-based scholarship..
Any ideas?
 
Alex, the situation as I see it is as follows: student loans are anyway distributed among almost any international student that doesn't refuse it. Business schools see this low-interest loan as a more effective use of money than investment of your private capital. So, they don't check whether your income is above some level for case you can finance yourself, because they will offer you a loan anyway. But I guess that they check your salary progress (through tax return review) to find evidences that you have certain potential to return the loan in future regardless of your future career. That is my impression based on information I got during info sessions :)

As full-time MBA is a two-years break in employment, I am sure that schools understand that it is very unlikely that anyone in 99% of applicants can save enough funds to finance these two years. We are all need-based :) In my opinion, you should apply for aid no matter how much is your salary.

P.S. A long comment, but there is something else to add: grants and scholarships are means of attracting applicants who got admitted to more than one school. So, if this is a case, there is a very high probability that you will get either this or that amount to reinforce your motivation ;)
 
Nat,
thank you for a detailed answer! very helpful.

Given the spread between interest rates on loans in US and on deposits in Russia, I'd rather leverage up, and obviously it would be nice if they provide some scholarship/grants although in the end I have no problem paying myself.

but I guess we are all jumping ahead of the train with this how-to-finance discussion since no admit decision is out yet.
 
i wish i could have the heart to miss an essay, it must have been great thrill, hunhh ?
 
forrest gump: I tried to avoid this topic, but the truth is breaking through :)) I am an easy writer, I do not spend much time on my essays. And I actually don't give them to friends for proof-reading. That's why it wasn't a catastrophe when I discovered that there was one more question to go before submission.
Who knows, maybe I will be punished for making it my way :) It's my first try for admission.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?