Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Arrogant? Who?

Yesterday I attended to an info session of Wharton. Usually I don't comment on my impressions, though in this particular message I can summarize that my single Stanford's session was lovely, with a fantastic, vivid representative of Adcom and an informative screen presentation, and Chicago's numerous sessions (GSB is the most active in Russia, to my observation) are always held in very friendly atmosphere because both alumni and current students are extremely devoted to the school.
I wouldn't write this topic if I wasn't very unpleasantly surprised with a speech made by Wharton's alumnus yesterday. When asked about advantages of Wharton against other top schools, the alumnus said literary the following: 'Among business schools, there are three Schools - Wharton, Harvard and Stanford - and all the rest. Harvard's students and alumni are arrogant, and Stanford's are very narrow-minded. Then, after the first 6-8 positions in rating, level of education in other schools swiftly degrades'. And sure thing, they in Wharton are a piece of cherry pie, who doubts... The guy himself was a typical milksop, no presentation skills, Very General Opinion about his Wharton Alma mater, not a single useful word about Why Wharton. Actually, why Wharton - he said that 'Business education is a frame; expect your study in Wharton to be sort of a vocational program in technical college'. Maybe I am subjective, sorry, guys, but I really did not expect an alumnus of one school say such stereotypic and rude things about other schools. I have waited for a session of Wharton for several months, as they are rare guests in Russia, and I am very disappointed with outcome.
The screen presentation was a copy of a brochure. The official representative of the school was friendly, though we were surprised to hear that in giving loans for tuition and living the school expects students to make a contribution of 10% ($6-7K+ a year) BECAUSE students must show how much they are ready to sacrifice for the honor of being admitted. I don't know if it is a common case for all schools, but others at least did not put it in words like that!
The second present alumnus, an expatriate living in Russia after graduation from Wharton-Lauder program, was a lovely gentleman. If I can say something good about the session, it is that that gentleman's contribution was very informative. And that we were offered some snacks (irony implied).

Comments:
That is indeed shocking! To put down other top schools and to liken Wharton to a vocational program is definitely not my idea of a good presentation.

I find it very surprising because the interaction I've had with W students so far has been very pleasant. But I guess it just goes to show that it takes all kinds to make this world. Even top schools (may be more so at top schools) cannot escape from them.

W adcom should definitely do something abt it. In fact I wont be surprised if they dont ask him to come for these presentations again! :)
 
well, I have been to the same presentation yesterday, and I have to say the attitude of this guy sucked. However, I had a chance to talk to him a day before at MBA tour and he seemed nice and chatty.

as for them, saying bad things about other schools, oh well, what else do you think they are going to tell you - I met alums from different top schools and - even after graduating 10 yrs ago - they still have mixed feelings toward other schools on the top list. I think it's the part of the school culture.


anyhow, totally agree that presentation was very poor and I did not get anything out of it - I did not come there for the free food.
 
Alex, are you applying?
 
Yeah, I do: I sent my HBS, Wharton, Columbia and Chicago last week and a week before. thinking of whereelse I should apply..

where do you apply?

good luck with your apps.
shoot me an emal if you want to discuss applications
 
@Alex: I have interacted with alum of a few schools. They definitely will not wax eloquent abt the other schools, but will not show down upon them either. There's a very distinct line between the two.

I wont be surprised to hear if because of those cheap shots, some candidates got turned off. I am sure they won't not apply because of that, but it definitely leaves a bad taste in the mouth. At the end of the day, its a great school. Surely he's the odd one out.
 
Alex, drop me a note at abi80@list.ru, I can't figure out how to find your email in your blog.
My list is the same, plus Stanford. Cannot refuse advantages of California :)
 
just sent you an e-mail, )

well, CA is good but it's far away from NYC and major employers (I mean investment companies. If you want to work in other industries, this obviously should not concern you).
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?